10.12.2009

Fun Outdated Slang

I read in Bill Bryson's Made In America: An Informal History of The English Language In The United States that there were many words that the early American settlers used that didn't quite stand the test of time. A small sampling:

Skulduggery: underhanded behavior; a devious trick

Slobberchops: a messy eater

Sooterkin: a sweetheart

But who knows? Sometimes old slang comes back. For instance, the 2007 Fergie song "Glamorous" included the term "flossy", which is a mid-1800's term for "very stylish" (think old-timey "bling").

If Fergie can bring back old slang, maybe we can, too? Let's try: My sooterkin is such a slobberchops that whenever he wants to go to a restaurant, I have to pull skulduggery to get out of it! :)

1 comment:

  1. I very much like "slobberchops" and will do my best to help the cause of bringing it back!

    ReplyDelete