5.12.2010

How To Clean Burnt Pans

This is literally something I just learned: Even if I follow the recipe, I cannot make spaghetti sauce that tastes as delicious as my mother's (and she's not even Italian!).

On a related note, I also learned that if you accidentally burnt said spaghetti sauce (or anything) onto the bottom of a stainless steel pan, there is a scour-less way to remove it:

1. Put about a half-inch of water mixed with vinegar into the pan.
2. Bring it to a boil for a couple of minutes.
3. Simply rub off the charred food (no major scrubbing required!).

I don't remember where I heard about this tip, but it certainly did the job. :)

6 comments:

  1. You can also just cover the burned food with vinegar and leave the pan overnight. The food will usually just lift out, sometimes all in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I tried your trick on a particularly abused pan! It worked, but there was still some leftover food on it. So I searched the internets and found that I should boil baking soda in it. So I did. And then my kitchen looked like a crime scene photo where people were caught in the act of making crack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vinegar and baking soda make volcanoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs are especially good a cleaning pots and pans. They will keep at it until that pot is clean as a whistle. This method is not for everyone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baking soda has worked for me in the past, but I decided to leave a pot on the stove on low until three in the morning, and the darn thing practically caught on fire. Now there i a nice two inch deep burnt layer of spaghetti on the bottom. Baking soda didn't work, salt water didn't work, so now we are on vinegar. If that doesn't work then I'm going to do what I know is infallible - throw the darn thing out and get a new one.

    ReplyDelete